Running in Circles
exhibition: 05 / 06 / 2020 - 19 / 07 / 2020
Location: The Barbarian
The exhibition will be held especially on the occasion of the Brutus Prize Running in Circles / Movement and Politics In The Streets Of My City opened on June 5, 2020. This exhibition consists of a series of works on paper and video made during times of the Corona measures, social distancing and involuntary quarantine.
For many, the lockdown an urge to run. For Jeroen Jongeleen, running is a more realistic way to reclaim the city. His feet and the dirt on the soles of his shoes are his tools. The deserted streets, post-industrial factory roofs and parking lots at the jetty are canvas. He runs in circles, goes nowhere, makes geometric drawings compared to pre-Columbian Nazca geoglyphs, in the self-reflexive exercise that prints the site with the weight of his body and momentum. The creation of the work is an exercise in endurance, the output temporary and motivated to illustrate the power and dynamism of the street, while offering a utopian vision for the future. It is proof that he was there.
Young Marathon runs are registered with a drone. The bird's eye view reduces him to an impersonal pixel that moves over a simple drawing. When the videos come with audio, the intimate sound of the artist's jagged breath feels disjointed with the image, adding to the alienating nature of the lonely performance.
The BARBAR is the new extension of AVL Mundo, which is the largest non-profit institution, founded by an artist, with 6000m2.
- Address: Keileweg 10b Rotterdam
- Open: Friday to Sunday 12: 00-18: 00, Thursday by appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening June 5 at 18:00 PM via a special online (facebook / instagram) broadcast with Jeroen Jongeleen, Joep van Lieshout and others.
- Order tickets via: https://avlmundo.stager.nl/web/tickets (reservation time slot is required)
- All activities are organized safely and according to Corona guidelines.